Joining Technologies Automation, Inc.
Job Title: Control Systems Software Engineer
Reports To: Sr. Control Systems Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Responsible for developing Industrial Control logic and automated machine code and interfacing. Ability to create and edit/revise existing ladder logic and procedural programming. Assist non-software specialists with the application development, and working with the technical writer to develop documentation of software for users by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates, tests and debugs industrial control software written in a variety of standard languages such as: Ladder Logic, VB.NET and C#, as well as hardware specific languages such as Aero Basic and KRL.*
- Modifies pre-existing software after careful study of the new requirements and existing hardware, electronics, existing software.*
- Works and communicates effectively with mechanical, electrical, and controls engineers to develop and understand required software functionality.*
- Designs and develops functional user interfaces using VB.NET, C#, or dedicated UI hardware and software.*
- Documents all code for future review and revision.*
- Works with other engineers and writers to prepare customer ready documentation of software features.*
- Works and communicates with hardware original equipment manufacturers to interface with their provided application program interfaces.*
- Assists mechanical and electrical engineers with software development issues.*
- Works one-on-one or in groups with customers to provide training and support.*
- Meets with customers to understand software requirements.*
- Develops machine vision programs and strategies.
- Assists with mechanical and electrical design and assembly.
- Develops desktop software when CoTS solutions do not exist.
- Develops plug-ins and interfaces to allow easy communication with minimally supported hardware.
- Ability to understand and create code in a variety of languages including VB.NET.
- Ability to design and program effective and ergonomic user interfaces.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employee’s, production workers, customers, and vendors.
- Highly motivated to adapt to situations requiring multi-disciplinary thinking.
- Self-sufficient and independent work style with general supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, controls engineering, robotics engineering or equivalent. New graduates are welcome to apply and will be offered learning and growth opportunities.
- Siemens Control Software such as s7 and TIA portal based environments.
- Experience with multi-threaded programming.
- Knowledge of industrial control communications such as Profibus, ProfiNet, TCP/IP, Serial, and EtherCAT.
- Knowledge of Aero Basic and Aerotech based programming.
- Knowledge of G code.
- Experience with a variety of industrial control vendors such as Siemens, Automation Direct, Aerotech, SMC, Keyence, etc.
- Some mechanical and electrical background/understanding.
- 2-5 years of experience with control systems.
- Familiarity with laser systems and/or motion systems.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to non-ionizing laser radiation. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.